Frequently Asked Questions

Complain about Jobcentre Plus Services

Complain about Jobcentre Plus Services

Do you need to make a complaint about the staff or any of the services provided Jobcentre Plus?

Find out about the Jobcentre complaints procedure, complaint telephone numbers, and further information.

If you think we’ve got something wrong, let the office you have been dealing with know as soon as possible. We’ll do our best to put things right.

You can contact us by phone, in person or in writing. When you contact us, please tell us:

  • your National Insurance number – unless you are an employer
  • your full name, address and contact numbers
  • what happened, when it happened and how it affected you
  • what you want to happen to put things right

If you’d like to make a complaint about the Department for Work and Pensions, write to:

Department for Work and Pensions
PO Box 50101

Find Out Your Alternative Jobcentre Plus Office

Is Your Local Jobcentre Plus Office Closing? Do you need to find your Alternative Jobcentre Plus Office

Five Jobcentre Plus offices have already closed in August 2017, 10 more are scheduled to be closed in September 2017 with another 87 Jobcentre plus offices also scheduled to close before the end of April 2018. Is your local Jobcentre affected by the closures? If so,
you can find your new alternative Jobcentre Plus office location in the list below.

Replacement Jobcentre Plus Offices

Child Benefit

Can I Claim Child Benefit?

There are two Child Benefit rates; 1) Eldest or only child, 2) additional children. Child Benefit is a paid every 4 weeks on a Monday or Tuesday. A family with two children can claim nearly £1,800 a year in Child Benefit. You can claim Child Benefit for each child you’re responsible for, you don’t have to be their parent. (Child Benefit was previously called Family Allowance).

How much is Child Benefit?

The rates for Child Benefit in the 2017-18 tax year are:

Benefit normally paid on a weekly basis for the eldest first at £20.70 per week plus £13.70 for each additional child.

That’s £1,076.40 for your eldest/only child and £712.40 for additional children.

If you’re paid too much or too little, you should contact the Child Benefit Office.

How can claim Child Benefit

Anyone responsible for children can claim Child Benefit. High-income earners (over £50,000) are also eligible to claim Child Benefit but it’s taxable. If you’re a high-income earner, use the Child Benefit tax calculator to find out how much tax you’ll have to pay.

Working Tax Credits

You might be eligible for Working Tax Credit if one of the following applies to you:

If you are aged between 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability you’re 25 or over, with or without children

To be eligible for Working Tax Credit, you must;

  • work a certain number of hours a week
  • get paid for the work you do (or expect to)
  • have an income below a certain level

You can apply for Working Tax Credit even if you don’t have children or you’re on leave or about to start a new job.

What Is Univesrsal Credit ?

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit will replace Jobseeker’s Allowance, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Employment & Support Allowance and Income Support. By moving to a single social security benefit, Universal Credit will bring fairness and simplicity to the British social security system.

Due to issues with the rollout, the change over to Universal Credit in on-going and benefits claimants are still being put on Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment & Support Allowance and other means-tested benefits and tax credits. Despite the teething problems with the rollout, government research claims that “Universal Credit claimants find work quicker, stay in work longer and earn more than the Jobseekers’ Allowance claimants”.

Why should you register for a Universal Jobmatch account?

There are many advantages to registering for a Universal Jobmatch account.

  • Create your “profile”. The details on your profile will help match you to job opportunities. Your profile information will also make it easier if you use “CV Builder” to create your C.V.
  • You can build your C.V. using the CV Builder or upload CVs to your profile. You can upload up to 5 different C.V.’s to use when apply for jobs using Universal Jobmatch.
  • Create a public CV. Your CV will be searchable by employers looking for candidates. When your C.V. gets matched to a job, you’ll receive an invitation to apply. (The profile search doesn’t reveal your name, or personal details to the employer).
  • Create and save your job searches. You can also setup daily or weekly email updates. With new jobs listings that match your saved job searches.
  • As well as saving 5 C.V.’s, you can also save up to 5 coer letters to use when applying for jobs using Universal Jobmatch
  • Your Universal Jobmatch profile keeps a record of job searches and job applications. Are claiming JSA (Jobseekers Allowance)? Use Universal Jobmatch to discuss job search activity with your advisor.

Housing Benefit

Can i Claim Housing Benefit

  • You may be entitled to Housing Benefit to help pay your rent if you earn a low income. Housing Benefit can pay for all of your rent or part of your rent depending on your income and circumstances.
  • If your benefits stop, you may be able to get help with your rent.
  • Housing Benefit cannot be claimed or paid for heating bills, hot water, energy, or food.

To find out If you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefits you can use this free benefits calculator.

ESA Employment Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

is a benefit for people who are ill or disabled. You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

ESA is a benefit to help provide financial support to people unable to work. Employment and Support Allowance also includes a personalized benefit to help you work, if you’re able to.

If you’re currently claiming other benefits such as Income Support or Incapacity Benefit, you might be transferred to ESA.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is being rolled out across the UK

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It's paid monthly, or twice a month for some people in Scotland. You may be eligible to get it if you're on a low income or out of work. Whether you can claim Universal Credit depends on where you live and your circumstances. 

universal credit

Universal Jobmatch is a free service where you can search for jobs, and apply for them. You don’t need to register on Universal Jobmatch to search for jobs. But to apply for a job, you need to set up a Universal Jobmatch account.

What Is The Recruitment Process At DWP

Department for Work and Pensions Information about applying for jobs with and working for the Department for Work and Pensions DWP

Department for Work and Pensions DWP operates on a scale that is almost unmatched anywhere in Europe and most people in Britain come into contact with us at some point in their lives. We offer:

  • a wide range of interesting and rewarding careers
  • the chance to make a real difference to people’s lives
  • an excellent package of employee benefits

We lead on the government’s policies for welfare, pensions and child support. We help people to find jobs and employers to fill vacancies. We make payments to jobseekers, pensioners, disabled people, parents, and carers. Our staff is making the largest changes in the welfare system for a generation, including the introduction of Universal Credit and the new State Pension.

what is a benefit cap

The benefit cap is a limit set by the DWP on the total amount of benefit that most people aged between16 to 64 can get. The total amount your household gets from some benefits might go down to make sure you don’t exceed than the cap limit.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

Are You Eligible For Warm Home Discount Scheme

Warm Home Discount SchemeYou could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2017 to 2018 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The money isn’t paid to you directly, it is paid to your gas or electricity provider. It is a one-off discount on your electricity bill and is normally made payable between October and March.

The discount won’t affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.

Pre-pay or pay-as-you-go meters

  • You can also qualify for the discount if you use a pre-pay or pay-as-you-go electricity meter
  • Your electricity supplier can tell you how you’ll get the discount if you’re eligible, for example it may be a voucher you can use to top up your power meter.